CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A successful teeth cleaning expedition

I live for and am passionate about nice clean teeth. Clean teerth are in fact a source of pride in my life. I love going to the dentist and having my teeth cleaned because I always get a glowing report back from the dentist. I have been told I could be the poster child of perfectly clean teeth. I will admit here that probably my dental hygienist says this to all her patients, but still it is nice to hear.

I was so excited when Milo got to be about 2 to take him to the dentist, to meet Diane the woman who has been cleaning my teeth since I was 6. Our first trip he really just watched Diane clean my teeth and he got to hold my new toothbrush. When he was 3 we went back for his teeth cleaning. The night before we read some books about dentists, we talked about it, and yet when the moment came he clenched his Floppy so tightly that I thought he would burst. Which was nothing compared to how tightly he clenched his lips against the invasion of the dental hygienist. So no teeth cleaning actually happened that visit.

Now Milo is 4, and we ventured back once again to the dentist. However this time I took him to a pediatric dentist near our house. They have the office decorated like a beach with fish tiles on the floor and beach scenes on the walls. In fact while cleaning your teeth, you are even given a pair of sunglasses to protect your peepers from overspray. Super cute! They have movies playing on large flat screen tvs and they have tons of toys and books in the waiting room. I feel a little bit sad about my dentist. As nice as they are, as awesome as Diane is, she has nothing on this place.

They called Milo's name and he rushed to the back and climbed up in the seat. She gave him the option of toothpaste flavors such as; bubblegum, strawberry, grape, cherry or mint. Milo chose bubblegum, but right about now I am wondering why I never get a choice, it is only every mint. (I think a nice strawberry toothpaste would be a refreshing change Diane! )

Milo slips on his sunglasses, opens his mouth obediantly. He is very cooperative and helps her count while she is taking his x-rays. We ooohed and aahhhed over his xrays of his baby teeth and his "big boy teeth." She gave him an orange toothbrush with holder, which he cares nothing about because he prefers his Diego electric toothbrush. But I thought it was pretty cool. (I never get a toothbrush holder when I get my teeth cleaned Diane!)

Dr. Bob came over to talk to me about proper dental care, encouraging me to help Milo floss his teeth, and that the last thing he should have after he brushes his teeth at night is water and only water. Check and check, we were already doing that. Not the flossing, we are working on that, but the water bit we have covered.

Dr. Bob also talked very seriously to Milo about his chocolate milk love, and discussed at length the merits of plain milk and how healthy it is for you. Milo and Floppy nodded quietly. Recently Milo has been asking only for plain milk. I haven't actually prepared a cup of chocolate milk for him in days. Milo makes sure to inform me every time that plain milk is very healthy for you and it tastes good if you drink it with a crazy straw.

He goes back in 6 months, and Finn will go with him for his first dental visit. Lets hope it goes as smoothly as this visit. Somehow I kind of doubt that Finn will be quite so zen about the experience. Sure he will climb up on the seat, but sunglasses on his face? People in his mouth? No way! Although Finn does like to chew on a toothbrush so maybe there is hope after all.

Action shot of teeth being cleaned.
Please note that while Floppy is being held
He is not being held in a death grip.
Also how cute are those sunglasses?

0 comments: