CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The thing about birthdays...

So I took down Christmas this weekend. I was actually pretty motivated to do this last weekend, but Mark asked me to keep it up through the New Year. Milo was saddened by the loss of Christmas, he really enjoyed being in charge of turning the Christmas tree on and off at night. In addition to taking down the tree I took the opportunity to rearrange some furniture too. When he woke up from his nap Milo was a bit in shock with the "new house"

Me: Welcome back from dreamland. How was your nap?
Milo: Good. I woke up.
Me: Well we are glad to have you back in the living room.
Milo: Wow! Mom Christmas is gone! (look of distress on his face)
Me: I know, I packed it all away. What do you think?
Milo: I miss Christmas. (tears are nearing and so Mark intervenes)
Mark: You know what? Christmas has to go away so we can bring it back next year.
Milo: I want it back right now.
Mark: Well you know what happens once Christmas comes down?
Milo: No
Mark: Your birthday comes next. And if we don't take down Christmas, then we can't have your birthday.
Milo: Yeah, and also no presents and sometimes no storm troopers

Good point Milo, yes storm troopers rarely appear in the Christmas season, unless you watch the Fiesta Bowl parade. (Thanks David for the picture, more on these guys later on)


So yesterday morning as we are getting into the car, Milo notices that our outdoor christmas lights are still up.

Milo: Dad, our lights are on!!!
Mark: No buddy they aren't on
Milo: (very sternly and with emphasis on every word) They. Are. On. Our. House.
Mark: It is okay, we will take them down this weekend
Milo: My birthday won't come if christmas lights are still on.
Mark: Okay okay, we will take them down. It is going to be okay

In the car Milo started sobbing.

Me: What is wrong kiddo?
Milo: I want my birthday to come and Daddy won't take down the lights.
Me: Well first of all, no matter what, your birthday will come, and I promise Daddy will take down the lights. (I hear the crying start to subside)
Milo: Okay Mommy. And maybe Daddy wants some help, lets get him some friends to help him.
Me: I think he will be okay by himself
Milo: Maybe I should help Daddy and so can Prime and some of his friends too.

Excellent notion, lets get some Transformers involved in this. Always handy when you need to take down some lights.

Tonight on the way home Milo keeps pointing out people with their lights still up. I have assured him that his birthday will come even if there are some people out there with twinkling lights on their plants or wrapped around their porch or heaven forbid a glowing reindeer or two milling around.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Um, too cute.