I am an only child, which I must say overall I haven't minded much. There have been moments when having a sibling would have been nice; someone else to share the experience of my childhood, to know the stories I know, to laugh with about the antics of our family. Someone to stand with me at my Dad's funeral and know exactly the sense of loss that I feel. But this isn't something I dwell on much since it isn't a fact that can be changed. This morning though, I caught a glimpse of what that must feel like, to have someone in this world who shares your common experiences. For the first time I saw a bond between my boys that I cannot share with them. A special moment just between them.
I was dropping Finn off at Ann's house, both boys buckled in their car seats in the backseat. I opened up the door to unbuckle Finn and while I am wrestling with the buckles, Finn reached over and started waving his arms at Milo to get his attention. Milo reached out his hand and Finn clutched it. Milo made a silly face at Finn first so naturally Finn burst out laughing. Which Milo responded to with another silly face and silly sound. Finn started babbling back at him, huge toothy grin on his face. Milo started giggling at him so Finn followed suit, both of them giggling and smiling at each other and all the while holding each other's hand. Awwwww.
Tonight when I picked up Milo from school he leaped out of his seat and came running over to greet me. I was given a huge hug and pulled over to his cubby. After retrieving Floppy and his coat he pulled out the most beautiful necklace in the whole world. It was made of blue curling ribbon and large elbow macaroni. He tried it on for me proudly and exclaimed, "I made a necklace today Mommy!" I have never seen one little boy's face glow so brightly.
We hurried out of school to go pick up Finn. I encouraged him to show it to Nana and Papa, who both agreed it was the finest macaroni necklace ever made. Milo graciously let me wear the necklace home and in the car he asked to be sure I was still wearing it and hadn't lost it.
Milo: Mommy you still have my necklace?
Me: Yes I am still wearing it. I love it.
Milo: I made it Mommy.
Me: I know, and I am very proud of you for making such a lovely necklace
Milo: I made it pretty for you!
I looked in my rear-view mirror, and there on my little boy was the sweetest, most heart warming smile I have ever seen. I melted right then and there. Melted, right down to my shoes. I don't think any necklace of diamonds or pearls could compare to my beautiful macaroni necklace.
I am wearing my necklace tomorrow to work if he will trust me to take it out of the house.
G-G on Facebook - G-G on Twitter
10 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment