CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Who is going to win?

Dinner battles have been popping up in our lives lately. Silly things like he decides that he does not like chicken, despite the fact that he has loved chicken for years. I will say that mostly it is over vegetables which breaks my heart because I love vegetables but also because he used to love them when he was younger. I can only deduce therefore that this is more an issue of control than it is an issue of "not liking it."

I have tried a couple of tactics but I am going to stick with my latest idea of just taking the hard line. I have a rule that you must try everything on your plate. You don't have to like it, you don't have to eat any more after that one bite. However you must try everything. How else will you know if you like it, if in fact you do not try it? This as you can imagine is a struggle which I don't understand. When I was younger the rules were not so lenient. I remember quite clearly being told, "Andria you will sit at that table until you eat your food." And I sat, for what felt like years staring at cold disgusting bell peppers. I was strong willed, I didn't cave. I am quite sure I exasperated my parents. As I am quite exasperated myself right now, but I digress.

So my new tactic is, "just eat your food Milo." Bold. Simple. Genius. And it works, sort of. We do have a lot of pouting, a lot of lower lip out, a lot of, pushing the offensive food around the plate with a fork. My favorite is when he picks it up with his fork but only just barely so "ooops" the food falls onto the floor. He is a clever little boy but I tried that one myself back in the day and I am wise to his tricks.

I will give it to Milo he does have some really interesting logic...

Me: Milo eat your dinner
Milo: I cannot my tummy is full
Me: Your tummy is full?
Milo: Yup it is all full up. Can I have a cookie?
Me: No

Me: Milo eat your dinner
Milo: I don't like it
Me: Well try it, you just might
Milo: I cannot try it Mommy, because it hurts my tummy just touching it

Me: Milo eat your dinner please
Milo: Mommy I can't eat it
Me: Why not?
Milo: Because my teacher said I don't have to eat my dinner

Milo: May I be excused?
Me: No you may not. You need to eat your dinner.
Milo: I did eat it.
Me: Licking one spoonful is not considered eating your dinner.
Milo: I don't like it.
Me: You know what kiddo, you have to eat your dinner, it isn't an option.
Milo: I don't want it! (spoon thrown on the floor)
Me: Who is in charge here? You or me?
Milo: Me!
Me: Nope, I am in charge here, and on these issues, I am always going to win.
Milo: But I want to win. (head hung low)
Me: I know love.

For the record, he did end up eating his dinner, almost every bite, and miraculously enough, he still had room for a cookie afterward.

0 comments: